Saturday 24 April 2010

Postscript: almost beating the ash cloud

My journey home was uneventful and very comfortable, as far as Heathrow. We landed ahead of schedule, at just after 5 a.m., and I made my way across to Terminal 5, looking forward to a relaxing hour in the business class lounge before getting my plane back to Newcastle. But it was not to be. We were met by BA ladies who told us that all flights had been cancelled, and we should collect our luggage, clear customs and then go to an 'incident area'; there would, they said, be a coach at about 8, in two hours time. In the incident area, the queues were so long they were literally out of sight at first. I ended up next to a lovely Canadian lady, and we minded each other's luggage whilst each of us visited the Ladies'. Then I went to the departures area to find a customer service person, who told me we could just make our own arrangements to get home by train and claim later via the BA website. So we did: we took the tube to Kings Cross, bought First Class seats and travelled back together, at least as far as Newcastle (my friend had to go on to Edinburgh and then change for a train to Montrose). So I hope I've made a new friend out of the adversity: and in due course I hope BA will pay for it all! But it's good to be home, and to take up the threads again after such a wonderful nine weeks. And with that I'll close this blog. Thank you to everyone who's taken the trouble to read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment